Thursday, October 1, 2009

Friend or Foe

Hello, my blog!
Hello, my bloggy friends.
Oh, how I've missed each and every one of you.
(yes, even you)
I think I may be back on this side of death, for a few days there it was pretty ifey.
Wanna know what saved my life?
Well, I can tell you it was NOT the doctor.
No offense doctor friends, it's just that swine flu is a virus and can't really be treated, merely tolerated until the magic of the human body cures itself.


Well, this thing we call swine flu has done a number on me and my family.
We've had day after foggy day of high fevers and pain and night after night of no sleep.
Yesterday morning I woke up to clogged ears and pain, a sure sign of ear infection.
So I did what any rational person would do.
I doused my body in garlic oil and popped 2 cloves in my mouth and quickly chewed and swallowed (not too bad when your sense of taste and smell are gone).
During the day I stayed low and tried, to no avail, to pop my ears and get the crud out.
By 7:30 that evening I was exhausted so I fell into bed, after popping 2 more cloves of this stinky stuff.
As I lay in bed unable to sleep yet again I could feel the fever coming back.
The chills, the burning lips, the inability to care or move or do anything about.
As I lay there I wondered how the night would go.
I wondered if the garlic would do its job and take the infection away or if morning would find me in the doctors office begging for his merciful antibiotics.
More than once this remedy has helped my kids skirt ear infections, in fact Doddle had one just a few days earlier that was cured by this stinky substance.
The intensity of the fever had me convinced it had not worked, that I must conform and take their drugs.
But guess what? Sometime in the early night I fell into a sound, regenerating sleep and slept all night long.
When I woke up the fever was gone, the pain in my ear was gone, my throat was no longer sore, even the canker sore I had had in my mouth was gone. I'm not perfect yet, but I am amazed at the difference from just the night before.
Wanna know what else?
My sense of smell was back and boy did I smell...bad.
I guess I'm not the only one that doesn't like the way garlic smells.
Bacteria and viruses hate it, so do vampires.
And so does Jay.


On a Side Note: The little reading I have done on garlic are nothing short of astounding. Civilizations the world over have used this powerful gem for healing for thousands of years. Taken raw it has antibiotic and antiviral properties. Here are a few facts from Wikipedia:

  • Garlic has been found to have antibacterial, antiviral, and antifungal activity.
  • It was used as an antiseptic to prevent gangrene during World War I and World War II.
  • Garlic has been used reasonably successfully in AIDS patients to treat cryptosporidium in an uncontrolled study in China.
  • Garlic cloves are used as a remedy for infections (especially chest problems), digestive disorders, and fungal infections such as thrush.
  • Garlic is also alleged to help regulate blood sugar levels
  • The Cherokee also used it as an expectorant for coughs and croup
  • Garlic is used as a treatment for intestinal worms and other intestinal parasites
Warning: May cause sever halitosis, do not try this if you plan on leaving your house in the next week or so.


No comments: