Sunday, September 14, 2008

Love at First Sight




FLASHBACK



October 2003, nearly 5 years ago, we took Doodle (age 19 months) to an annual pumpkin carving party at a friend's house for Halloween. This particular family raises a good size pumpkin patch every year just so they can have this party.

Doodle literally fell in love with one of the pumpkins they had. She would not leave without it. Once we got it home she carried that thing with her everywhere.

It weighed almost as much as she did.

She screamed if we tried to put her to bed without it. Once we put it in the crib with her she was happy and laid right down and went to sleep.

Way back when I only had one or two kids I used to label all the pictures I took so I could remember key information about certain events. Now that I have 4 monsters who has time for that nonsense?

I sure am glad I did it back then though, sometimes I just laugh at what goofy names I came up with for some of these ancient photos.

Want to know what I named this one?



"Doodle and her pumpkin she would not do anything without for about 3 weeks straight"

It's kind of a long name, but fitting, don't you think?

I might change it. How about

Cinderella After the Ball

She is such a cute little sleeping princess.


Fast forward 5 years

Our neighbor gave us this beautiful watermelon from his garden.
Once again it is love at first sight.
She ate, slept, played, went potty with that melon for days.
One day I very enthusiastically suggested we cut the beloved melon and see how yummy a fresh home grown melon would be. I figured if it was that much fun to play with it must be a delight to eat as well.
Boy, was I wrong.
Doodle wanted nothing to do with cutting open her beloved melon. She laid herself on it and sobbed. She insisted we eat the store bought one first, so she could continue her love affair with this scrumptious fruit.

Doesn't she remind you of Pocahontas laying herself over John Smith trying to save his life just before his melon would have been split open by a tomahawk?


4 comments:

Sharida said...

Did you see those Pink counter tops? Wow, you guys have sure come a long way since then. lol I remember that pumpkin. You guys going again this year?

. said...

THAT was HILLARIOUS!

Lara said...

That is funny! What do you think is the cause of her love of large round fruit? Did you wean her too young or something?

Ice Cream said...

I was reading this thinking, "Awww, how sweet." and then I read that last line and I'm still laughing. I will never think of Pocahontas without thinking of watermelon now.