Saturday, August 16, 2008

Couch Potatoes

I bet you all have been wondering what we've been up to this week.
Well, since you asked...
We've turned into full fledged couch potatoes!
We have watched hours and hours of the boob tube everyday for 3 days straight.
Doodle even told me the first day, "Mom, we should turn the TV off, we've been watching it WAAAYY too much today!"
Ya, I did a double take too, a six year old being worried about watching too much TV!
I bet you all think there must be some educational series that will only be on this one week to warrant so much TV watching.
Well, you'd be wrong! We've been watching cartoons, Disney Movies, The Olympics (which I don't feel totally guilty about), Talk Shows. You name it, we've watched it this week.
I bet you want to know what we've been eating this week too.
Pizza, macaroni and cheese, fish sticks, Wendy's hamburgers, Carl's Jr. hamburgers, ice cream, pop cycles, soda, junk, junk and more junk!
So what has happened to the lover of educational programming, health nut that we all know and love, you ask?
She has been sick!!!
I'm not talking about some silly little cold with a runny nose and body aches.
What I had made a cold feel like a vacation.
I was knocked down on my bum sick. I had a fever of 102.5 Wednesday night. I took Tylenol or Motrin every 4 hours to the minute and it still only got my fever down to 100.7
That fever stayed with me all night long. My whole body ached. My head , my hips, my joints, my muscles, everything.
The thing that hurt the worst hands down was my throat.
I could not swallow anything.
Swallowing my own saliva felt like eating little steel balls covered in tiny needles that were on fire except worse (and that was with all the pain pills I dared take!)
So while my family was pigging out on all the junk food they could get their grubby little hands on, I was on a saliva only diet, and I wished I did not have to swallow even that.
Yes, that's what happens when Mr Bird is in charge of meals, heaven forbid I should die, EVER.
So after two torturous nights like this I finally went to the doctor yesterday morning.
You guessed it, strep throat.
The Doctor gave me a choice of antibiotics for 10 days or one shot in the bum. I chose the shot just so I would not have to go to the store to get it. For one thing I felt totally miserable and could not picture myself standing in line waiting for a prescription.
Secondly, I thought the shot would start working faster since I could have it right then and it might take 20 minutes off my total suffering time.
Totally worth it.
As a bonus they include it in the copay for the office visit and I did not have to shell out more money for a prescription.
So one pain in my big bum and one night's sleep without a fever, later and I almost feel like new, almost.
So for any of you that have seen me earlier this week and end up sick, I am so sorry. I will come to your house and take care of your children and make them healthy meals while you are
gagging down your own saliva.
For those of you we have not seen in a while,
count yourselves lucky!

1 comment:

Sharida said...

I'm so glad your feeling better. And really glad I haven't seen you lately! LOL