Monday, January 21, 2013

A Million Flecks of Light

photo by deviantart.com
Last Saturday it snowed.
Considering it's January in Northern Utah, that's not at all surprising.
It was a very light snow, hardly a flurry.
It was not enough to pull out the snow shovels or the plows. 
If you weren't paying attention you may have missed it all together.
It was barely enough to cast a glittery shimmer over the already snow covered ground.
As I was pulling out of the driveway (long before I even wanted to be out of bed) in the early morning light, a gleam caught my eye as I looked over my shoulder and into the rising sunshine.
Glitter.
Glitter was literally falling from the sky. 
I sat and marveled for a few sweet moments before I went about the busyness of the day.
An hour later I found myself waiting outside in the car for my kids to finish their piano lessons.
As the minute snow flakes fell I watched as they landed intact on the windshield.
Each snow flake fell individually, perfectly, beautifully.
We all marveled at the detail as we studied their minute structures.
It was a frigid 5 degrees outside, so the tiny ice sculptures were in no hurry to melt.
We spent a few more sweet moments lost in their trance.
They held us spellbound, in complete childlike wonder.
But to me, those 6 pointed masterpieces were more than mere snowflakes.
You see, Someone upstairs knows I like it when the snow looks like glitter.
It makes me smile, and He knows it.
It was a gift from Him to me.
It could have not been more personal a gift had He wrapped it and left it on my pillow with a big red bow on top.
The glitter snow is quite literally what got me through the hard, dark, frozen winter in Mascouche.
We'd drive along the open fields all glowing with glitter snow and it brought the light to my soul that He knew I needed.
Two days later and the temperatures are as frigid as ever.
The cold makes me feel hopeless.
Spring, the promise of going outside without the Michelin Man coat, is still light years away.
Winter has only just begun, the reality hits me like a brick.
These long winter days, separated by a sheet of ice from my mountains and my sunshine that I need like breath, put me in a very bad mood.
I get restless and irritable, cabin fever at its worst.
Yet, as we drove past the open fields near our home after a peaceful Sunday service, the glitter snow made me smile.
It said to me, "I am here, I hear you, I am your light."
That sweet glitter snow, it makes the winters bearable.
It brings light into the darkness.
"Darkness can not drive out darkness only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate only love can do that."~Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.

 He is my light, my million flecks of light.
He is my comfort, my peace, my warm apple pie, my snuggle from a sleepy babe.
He has lit my life in innumerable ways.
As I watch the open fields all swimming in glitter snow, all I see is His love.

 
 

2 comments:

Karen M. Peterson said...

I do miss the beauty of a lightly falling snow. The way it catches the light. The way the world is a little more quiet.

I don't miss it enough to move back yet, though.

Becky said...

Love this! ❤ Thank you for sharing!