Thursday, January 8, 2009

The Heathens are Growing

Guess what happened to me today?
Actually, a whole lot of nothing.
I have not been feeling so hot all day long. I felt a little off last night but just thought I was super tired. I got up to workout this morning before the kids got up and about 3 minutes into it, I thought, "Ooo, I am really dizzy." I tried to push through it for a few more minutes then realized it was not going to happen today.
By the time the kids got up I felt like I was down for the count. I could have easily gone back to bed and slept for 5 more hours.
So I had Doodle pour bowls of cereal for all the kids while I slept on the Love Sac. Then a little later when they were ready for a snack she got the goldfish crackers out and shared with the boys. I put baby down for a nap and did a very watered down version of school. I had Doodle read a chapter from her book to me and then we watched Planet Earth and Reading Rainbow until lunch time while I slept on the Love Sac some more.
By lunch time I was feeling really bad. My body felt like it weighed 2 tons, I could barley lift my head. I was getting hungry by that time but I did not know if my system could handle much. The kids suggested we eat Ramen Noodles for lurch.
Now let's talk Ramen Noodles for a minute. The kids would eat them every day if they could get away with it. I on the other hand can't stand the nasty little buggers. They just seem like a whole lot of nothing.
Here is our lunch time conversation most days.
Me: "What do you guys want for lunch?
Trio of voices: "RAMEN NOODLES!!!"
Me: "No"
Them"Mac and Cheese"
Them: "Sandwiches"
You'd think I'd learn and just start with, "What kind of sandwich would you like for lunch today?" But I never do, maybe tomorrow.
Anyway, back to today. For some reason Ramen Noodles sounded good to me.
Just plain salty noodles.
The only problem was I was not moving from my spot on the Love Sac. So I thought about it for minute. Doodle has seen me make them, she even puts the noodles in the boiling water and stirs them up, she is always begging to help me in the kitchen. Then it hit me, I could make Doodle make lunch. I sat at a kitchen chair and watched and supervised as my first born made her first batch of Ramen Noodles all by herself.
She is getting so grown up. I did help her get them dished up into every one's bowls since they were piping hot. Doodle was so proud of herself.
After lunch Baby took his afternoon nap while I slept some more. The kids sat quietly and colored for over an hour, I really do have great kids.
I woke up a little while ago and I felt a little better.
I looked around the house and the day without a mother had really taken a toll on the house. I thought, Mr Bird is going to love this.
So I told Doodle and Beano that daddy was coming home soon and that they needed to clean up their messes.
To my complete shock and awe they actually did it...the first time I asked. Of course the house is not perfect, but the living areas are straightened and all the toys are put away. Doodle even washed the table and put the dirty dishes in the dishwasher. It helps that they are involved daily with cleaning the house, it's part of our afternoon routine. It does not always look very clean by the time Mr Bird gets home, but it gets done everyday.
Everyday I look at my kids with wonder and think how on earth can I stop the clock and make them stop growing so fast. But if they just keep getting more and more helpful, maybe I can handle the thought of them growing up,
just a little bit.

1 comment:

The Lazy Organizer said...

I'm so sorry you're sick and you missed the sledding party today!!! Actually I missed the sledding party too because I sat in the warm house all day. I'm glad you have helpful kids. It makes it so much easier!

We'll miss you at book club tonight too. Couldn't you have planned a better day to get sick??