Sunday, July 6, 2008

God Bless the USA

I wanted to post about our 4th of July festivities. I kept thinking about the wonderful day we had. About how we woke up at 6 am and ran in the 5 K. About the parade and the BBQ at our house that lasted 7 hours.

About the fireworks and how Baby Cakes LOVED his first fireworks display. About the fun water fight we had in the back yard. About all the fun and celebrating we did.


But somehow it all felt trivial. But not really. I wanted to write about what this country means to me. I kept thinking about all the men who have fought to defend this great country. I kept thinking of the wives and mothers and children of those men waiting at home for their brave soldiers.

I thought of the ones who never saw their beloved soldier ever again. What pain and tears and yet honor they must have felt.


I thought of the founding Fathers and the great love and respect I have for them. They truly were inspired men with such vision for his blessed land.



I just became overwhelmed with reverence and respect and it started to seem silly to write about our festivities. I have never personally felt the pain of losing a loved one to war. I feel like I have so much that I take for granted every day.



How many soldiers are fighting right this minute so I can be sitting here in my safe home watching fireworks and eating watermelon? I am so thankful for those men.

Then Mr. Bird' s sister sent this email. I read it and cried. Those men were inspired! Thanks Mama Lis!

Independence Day Thought
"If our nation’s Founders could visit us on this, our 232nd Independence Day, what would they make of us? What would they declare of us?
"A hint can be discerned in a letter from John Adams to his wife, Abigail, on July 3, 1776, as the Declaration of Independence had just been approved. 'It ought to be commemorated,' said the man who would become our second president, 'as the Day of Deliverance by solemn Acts of Devotion to God Almighty. It ought to be solemnized with Pomp and Parade, with Shews, Games, Sports, guns, Bells, Bonfires and Illuminations from one End of this Continent to the other from this Time forward forever more. You will think me transported with Enthusiasm but I am not. I am well aware of the Toil and Blood and Treasure, that it will cost Us to maintain this Declaration, and support and defend these States. Yet through all the Gloom I can see the Rays of ravishing Light and Glory. I can see that the End is more than worth all the Means. And that Posterity will tryumph in that Day's Transaction, even altho We should rue it, which I trust in God We shall not.'
"Americans have maintained the 'Pomp and Parade' for more than two centuries now, and the 'Bonfires and Illuminations’ are commonplace, but how often do we recognize Independence Day as ‘the Day of Deliverance?’ How often do we honor it with ‘solemn Acts of Devotion to God Almighty’? How often do we contemplate the cost of our freedom, 'the Toil and Blood and Treasure?'"


So Independence day will continue to be one of my most favorite days of the year. I will continue to eat hamburgers and potato salad and watermelon and flag cake. I will continue to watch the parade with a lump in my throat. I will continue to watch the magnificent firework displays. But to add to the festivities I will thank God for my freedom and for all the men who have made this land free. I will praise God for this beautiful country and try even harder to do my part to make it better for my kids and their kids and on and on. I will say at the top of my voice

GOD BLESS THE USA!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

That is amazing. You are very good at expressing yourself in your words. Thanks that is how we feel!! Hope all is well with you guys and Jay's dad, take care!