Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Bakery in Progress


Photo found in an ebook by The Project Gutenberg: Vocational Guidance For Girls

Tonight after preparing a home made meal of grilled pork chops, grilled corn on the cob, pesto topped pasta and watermelon Doodle and I began baking.
We made 3 dozen muffins, 3 dozen cookies and 6 loaves of fresh baked honey whole wheat bread.
I really want Doodle to learn to bake.
She loves being in the kitchen with me and I can't wait until the day I can say, "Doodle, please make some muffins for breakfast" or "We are almost out of bread, would you mind making 6 loaves for the week?"
And then I'll sit my lazy bum on the couch with a good book while she slaves away making vital staples of our diet all by herself.
(Actually in my dreams I'll be using that extra time to get my house totally and 100% organized 100% of the time, every nook and cranny!)
Doodle is trying to earn money to pay for her violin and to pay for lessons.
She had the brilliant idea to sell yummy baked goods.
Doodle is so funny. When she gets an order she will not let me help make the said item, aside from coaching from the side lines.
She must add every ingredient, whisk every egg and she even insists on manning the electric mixer. She is miss little bossy pants.
And I love it.
She is one more step closer to total independence.
I also love the closeness we gain from being together. Everyday we spend home schooling and just being together, the more I love my kids. They are truly amazing. I really can't believe how fast the time is going. Everyday I am realizing how short my time with them really will be.
I only have a few short years to affect the rest of their lives.
The things I teach them now will impact them for the rest of theirs.
I can think of nothing more important for me to be doing with my time than teaching them all I can in the few precious years I have been given as their mother.
I know I'll be their mom forever and ever, but really, once they are out of my house I will not be the main source of learning or influence. They will turn to others, their spouses, their room mates, their friends, themselves, and only sometimes to me for guidance or advice.
I want to foster in them independence and yet reliance on their Father in Heaven.
I want them to have a drive to do what they love to do.
I want them to have a passion for learning.
I want them to be happy.
I want them to have self worth.
I want them to love good music and to always want it on in their homes.
I want them to never ever question my love for them.
I digress.
This started out about a post about my dream bakery and somehow it turned into my hopes and dreams for my kids. But really this is why I teach Doodle to bake.
And maybe by the time she's older we really will open a real live bakery together.
Now that would be my dream come true.
In the mean time, if any of you would like to buy a loaf of fresh baked bread made from freshly ground whole wheat, give Doodle and me a call, we're at your service.


1 comment:

Lara said...

How fun! I want some bread! Can I pick it up at Book Club? Really I want the cookies but I guess I'd better just order bread.

It's scary thinking how fast the time goes now that they're older. I left home when I was 17. My oldest will be 17 in only five more years. Five!!! That is so unbelievable!