Saturday, May 12, 2012

Selfish Persons Need Not Apply

Motherhood.
It's probably the toughest job on the planet.
But the rewards?
Out of this world, amazing.
Most of the time.
I think that's what is so amazing about being the mom.
It is 100% demanding.
It requires 100% of your waking time, talents and energy... and even some of your sleeping time.
If you're doing it right it teaches you so much about true love and devotion and selflessness.
It teaches you about the kind of person you really are.
The person I am now is so different than I ever thought I was or could be.
I am strong.
I love wildly.
I sacrifice for those little people and I love to do it.
I spank (but not very often).
My heart breaks daily.
I am an amazing baker.
I found this laugh that originates somewhere in the middle of my belly and seems to be contagious.
I get so frustrated that I want to give up and just stop trying.
But I never do, ever.
I teach children to read and do long division.
I protect them from every single thing that I possibly can until I can't anymore.
I bandage owies.
I edit book reports.
I read bedtime stories out loud.
I pray with my whole heart, and I get answers on their behalf.
I see the absolute beauty in every one of their eyes.
I worry.
I run and play and jump.
I say no.
I breastfeed.
I enforce time outs.
I can tomatoes and pickles.
I do laundry and dishes and a million other things every day of my life.
I am a mother and it's the best, worst, funnest, hardest thing I've ever done.
I hope I get to keep doing it forever and ever and ever.

 So this weekend we celebrate mothers.
We celebrate mothers who worry and spank and say no.
We celebrate the love and laughter and sacrifice.
We celebrate the memory of our favorite birthday meal and how it feels to put your head on mom's shoulder and just cry.
Because in the end all a child ever wants is their mother, their happy mother with a smile in her eyes and a little laughter on her lips.



No comments: