Saturday, March 20, 2010

My (Not So) New Partnership

By now most of you have heard the story of Dick and Rick Hoyt.
Their amazing, inspirational story of love and strength and courage is all over You Tube and emails and facebook.
Dick Hoyt is Rick's father.
When Rick was born his umbilical cord was wrapped tightly around his neck causing extreme brain damage.
The doctors said he would be a vegetable his whole life and that they should put him away in an institution and continue to live their lives, without their son.
They could not do that.
They took Rick home and determined to give him the best life they possibly could.
After a few years it was very apparent that their son was special.
He did not talk, he did not walk.
But his family could see something in his eyes.
His family treated him the same as all their other boys.
They went swimming with him, played stick hokey, where ever they went, Rick went.
When his dad would tell jokes he laughed right on key.
He understood the world around him.
When he was 10 years old a team of engineers developed a special computer that allowed Rick to communicate with others.
He went to public school and even graduated from college.
When Rick was in High school he found out about a charity race for a disabled boy and he wanted to be a part of the race.
He wanted to show his friend his love and support and that anything is possible.
He came home and told his dad he wanted to run in the race.
Dick, being the amazing father that he is, strapped Rick into a chair and ran the race, acting as arms and legs for his son.
When the race was over Rick said, "Dad, when we run I don't feel disabled."
Dick was hooked. He wanted to give his son that gift over and over.
Dick and Rick have now competed in over 950 races, including the Iron Man competition, the most grueling triathlon ever.
Dick does for Rick what he can't do on his own.


I watched this video again today at a conference and was touched again by their story.
But I saw something new in it this time.
I saw myself.
I saw my Savior.
So many times I feel like Rick.
Completely helpless.
I feel like I try and try to live my life and be the best that I can be.
But time after time I fail, miserably.
I fail to the point that I become a vegetable.
I am barely able to breath and survive on my own, let alone take care of my kids and my husband.
I feel helpless and defeated and like a failure.
As I saw Ricks face as his dad was pushing him, I saw true joy.
I have felt that joy, when I am close to my Savior I feel that.
Suddenly I wanted to be in my Saviors arms.
I ache to be near Him.
I realized that, foolishly, I have been trying to do this thing called mother hood and life in general all on my own.
I have stopped having Christ as my partner.
Somewhere between the dirty diapers and the laundry and the school and the cooking and cleaning I stopped turning to Him for help and guidance.
I started doing it all on my own.
I realized I am still carrying the loss of my dear mother-in-law all on my own, I have not given it to Him.
And you know what, it's really heavy.
It's too heavy for me to carry by myself.
I need Him.
I need You, my Rock, my Redeemer.
Will You carry me?
When I just can't do it anymore, will You carry me?
I know You will.
You have promised time after time that you will.
Your yoke is easy and your burden is light.
I need You on my team.
I am recommitted to our partnership.
Watch out world, here we come!





No comments: