Thursday, November 5, 2009

Do Something



Have you ever had a day when there is nothing really pressing on the agenda, yet you know you have a million things to get done at home?
Have you ever had a really hard time getting going those mornings?
Do you ever feel like all you want to do is sit with a good book and cute kids and read all day long?
Have you ever felt like there's just too much to do and you don't know where to start, so you just don't start at all?
You don't?
Oh, good, Me neither!
Most mornings I'm rearing to go, not enough hours in the day so I just get down to it.
But some days are like today. I just can't get my motor going.
It's just too cozy in the nice warm house with the wind howling outside.
It's all or nothing, right?
WRONG!

I am trying hard to fight that all or nothing mentality. Instead I'm going for all or something.
A few weekends ago I went to a mom's retreat with some really good friends.
We went to a lodge in Park City and had a fabulous dinner followed by inspiring presentations, followed by chatting with dear, dear friends until 2 am,
followed by trying to sleep on the top bunk of a very high bunk bed without freezing or falling off, followed by waking up by 7am, followed by showers and breakfast, followed by even more inspirational presentations.
Basically, it is a grown up version of a slumber party.
I loved every minute.
One of the poems that was shared in one of the presentations is still with me.
And trust me, I need it this morning.
I don't know who wrote it or the title, but I know I need it.

I am only one
But I am one
I can not do everything
But I can do something
What I can do,
I should do
And with the help of God,
I will do!


OK, heaven help me, here I go!


1 comment:

KarenB said...

LOVE that poem! I also struggle with the all or nothing mentality. I have to remember that's it's okay to just do something.