Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Sugar Free Zone


Photo: sucker.com

My awesome nephew, Caden, went all of 2011 without eating any candy.
Not one M&M, Skittle or even a tiny little Nerd.
I could not be prouder of that kid.
That means no candy on Valentine's Day or Easter or Halloween or Thanksgiving or Christmas or any birthday party pinatas.
For a boy in Middle School, that is no easy task.
He is my hero.
I wish I could say the same for myself.
It helps that he was dared and that the prize at the end of it all was one hundred bucks!
My favorite photo on facebook this whole year was the one of Caden just after midnight on New Year's Eve literally dumping jelly beans in his mouth.
It was classic.
He knew he had conquered a huge feat and was celebrating.





My cute little Caden with the iron will has inspired me.
I'm not usually one for New Year's resolutions just because I'm always working on personal goals all year long.
But this year I have decided to bite the bullet and make a goal.
Can you guess what it is?
It's a big one for me.
I try all of the time to eat healthy, but I slip when sugar is around.
At family parties the cupcakes and brownies call my name and I can't resist.
If there's chocolate in the near vicinity, I will sniff it out and it will not last the hour!
But this is the year that I will change that!
My goal is, drum roll please......
No sugar for the whole year of 2012!
That includes any form of processed sugar like high fructose corn syrup.
Bye, bye gummy bears and M&M's!
Natural, whole food sweeteners are OK.
Do you think I can make it?
I have my doubts.
But fear not, I have a plan.
I usually do really well here at home.
I have not bought any white sugar for over a year.
I use honey and molasses and Raptadura and pure maple syrup in my baking and yummy treats for my kids.
We already don't drink soda or have candy around the house.
(Although I do have about $40 worth of See's gift cards from Christmas...)
I have some yummy recipes for homemade chocolate balls that have no sugar. If it were not for simple recipes like these chocolate balls and homemade ice cream I know I could not make this goal.
But knowing the yummy treats I can make to replace these sugary goodies, I might have a shot.
The hard part for me is the family parties and the Holidays.
I have a plan for that as well.
I will make homemade yummies and carry them in my purse so I can have some while everyone else is feasting on sugar laden yummy morsels.
My motivation for doing this is the same, seemingly unattainable goal of good health and longevity and clear mindedness.
I feel better when I don't eat sugar, I already know that and I want this year to be full of life and energy and fun times with my kids.
We all know sugar is not good for our health.
This is the year that I'm ready to do something about it.
And besides if Caden can go without candy for 365 long days, I can do this, too!
If only someone would pay me a hundred clams to make this huge (at least for me) goal.
Anyone want to sponsor my year of no sugar?



2 comments:

Austin Stevenson Owens said...

WOWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW. Okay, I know you can do this. You are just full of enough awesomeness that you are going to kick it all year with this no sugar thing!

Karen M. Peterson said...

You are so gonna do this. Even if you did once help me eat an entire pound of M&Ms in a single day. ;-)